About

My name is Jessie! I am 21 years old and go to Louisiana State University. I am on the LSU colorguard. I love my life. I created this blog because I want to start sharing my ideas with everyone. Enjoy!

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Painted Canvas Toilet Paper Wall Art



This is simple and easy!  It gives a great 3-D look! First off, let's start with the supplies you'll need!

Supplies (for background): 
Acrylic Paint (any colors you please)
Canvas (costs about 5 dollars at Hobby Lobby)
Water!

Supplies (for 3-D look):
2 Empty Toilet paper rolls
Elmers Glue
Some sort of clips
White spray paint
Good Glue (I used Rubber Cement)



Step One
The first step is the background! You can do whatever colors you want.  I chose blues, greens, and reds.  You can really do any design you want, but I chose horizontal strokes.  I watered down my acrylic paint a bit to give the canvas a light look. It sort of reminded me of the horizons.



Step Two
Get your toilet paper rolls. Flatten them. Each toilet paper roll will make 10 petals (for the 3-D flowers).  After cutting them, you should have 20 petals.  Look at the picture above to see the size of the cut.  If you can't tell, they're about 1 centimeter wide.  After they are cut you'll be able to see the resemblance of a petal.  When you are finished cutting, you can either go ahead and spray paint the petals white now, or later.  Just make sure you paint them before attaching them to the canvas in Step Four.



Step Three
Next, assembling the flowers! On the tips, put a dot of Elmers glue. Then, attach the tips together. Four petals makes one flower. So, in the end, you'll have five flowers. Look at the picture to see if my explanation doesn't make sense.  After you attach the flower, put clips in place until the flower dries.  



Step Four
After making the five flowers, arrange them in a design that pleases you.  I chose kind of a wavy look.  When you find the design, attach each flower with rubber cement.  I found this part to be the most difficult. But, as long as you make sure the flowers don't move while they're drying, it'll be fine.  I used a hair dryer to make the drying go faster.



And there you go! Something astonishingly elegant for a crazy good price. This cost me less then 15 dollars.


Good Luck! Most importantly, Have Fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment